In order to achieve and maintain optimal health, one’s diet should be of primary concern. People can thrive on a wide variety of diets. There are certain principles that can apply to all eating styles that will enhance the overall nutritional state of the body. Some of these principles include:
1) Eat unprocessed (or minimally processed) whole foods that are nutrient dense.
2) Regularly consume fruits and vegetables you enjoy eating. Eat some cooked and some raw.
3) Eat grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes that have been properly prepared.
4) Eat a diet high in enzymes.
5) Eat some foods that are high in fat-soluble vitamins: A,D,E and K.
6) Eat plenty of healthy fats. Avoid processed, refined or damaged fats.
7) Eat a moderate amount of protein. Ensure proteins aren’t damaged by heat or processing.
8) Eat high quality carbohydrates. Avoid processed grains and sugars. Don’t overeat simple sugars.
9) Animal products should be of the highest quality and come from animals that are wild-caught or pasture-fed with plenty of access to fresh air, sunlight and greenery on which to graze.
10) Eat some fermented foods.
11) Get fiber through high-quality plant sources.
12) Eat some salt. Salt should be unrefined.
In a future article, each of these principles will be expanded upon for clarity.